Monday, June 23, 2008

Training Goals


photo by gisarah

Goals are those terrible things that cause you to smash into obstacles because your eyes are on the finish line and not the race.
###

A determined young woman seeks to become the world’s greatest martial artist.

She travels to a remote province in China to learn from the world’s foremost teacher.

After training with the Master for a week, she asks, “How long will it take me to become the world’s greatest martial artist?

"Five years," he whispers.

"That’s too long,” she responds. “What if I were to work harder than anyone else?”

"Ten years, he whispers."

"Ten years? she repeats with astonishment. “What if I practice more intensely than even you? How long will it take me then to become the world’s greatest?”

"Twenty years," he whispers.

"Master,” she shouts, “why whenever I say I’ll double my efforts do you say it will take me twice as long to reach my goal?"

"Because my child, when you focus one eye on your goal, you can only
focus one eye on your training."

No comments: