Thursday, May 8, 2008

Immediate Stress Relief





Self-massage effectively reduces stress. If you suffer the harmful effects of stress as much as I did, you know how pervasive and damaging it can be. Stress is reported to account for 80% of all first visits to doctors. Few therapies are as effective at reducing stress as massage.

Here are some reasons why self-massage is my first choice to end stress. First, self-massage is handy. When stress arises, self-massage is always available to erase it. Second, self-massage is free you can’t get more cost effective than that. Third, self-massage is precise. It can be directed to the exact spot on my body where stress dwells.

If I feel stress in my belly, I rub it away. If stress strikes my neck, I massage it out. I’m usually surprised at how easily it surrenders to my hands. The simple act of massage empowers me and the energy it takes to massage serves to further relieve stress. Breathe deeply into my abdomen as I massage and my stress will disappear even more quickly.

For many of us, stress resides in our backs and shoulders. While my shoulders can be massaged with my hands, it’s often more effective to use a massage tool to apply enough pressure to do the job. And reaching my entire back is next to impossible with my hands. The right massage tool can extend my reach to cover my whole body while allowing me to remain relaxed and bring the correct pressure to the area of my back body that needs it most.

I’ve tried a few massage tools that can do the job. I like the Backnobber II® best. It’s sleek design looks good and it’s easy to travel with because it snaps into two easy to put together pieces. I can take it to workouts, races, and on flights. The Thera Cane® and Body Back Buddy™ while more difficult to travel with are also effective. These handy massage tools can be found at amazon.com.

No comments: